Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit

Unfortunately, a high proportion of elderly people living in the US cannot afford services and benefits of senior care because of the high cost that they bring to their applicants. However, the Veterans Aid and Attendance Pension Benefit, most commonly referred to as the Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit, can serve as a tool to finance senior care.

What is the Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit?

The Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit serves as an “improved pension” by offering a certain disability income to US veterans who have served in the army during a period of declared war. It is important to be aware of the fact that the pension benefit does not depend on service-related injuries and that surviving spouses of veterans can also use the benefits.

Coverage of the Benefit

The Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit can help pay for:

  • A skilled nurse
  • Home health care
  • Assisted living
  • Medicare as well as other insurances if any
  • Medical equipment and supplies
  • Medications

While a veteran can receive up to $1,632 per month, a surviving spouse is only eligible for receiving up to $1,055 per month. A couple, however, may qualify to receive as much as $1,949 per month*.

Who is Eligible for Applying?

There are only three types of people who are eligible for applying for the Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit.

  1. The first person is the veteran himself. The veteran must be over the age of 65 in order to take advantage of such benefits.
  2. The second is the surviving spouse of the veteran but the spouse is only qualified to apply if the veteran has already passed away.
  3. The last person who is eligible for applying for the benefits is the duly appointed employee of the regional VA office or a VA agent duly approved by the same association. They may file claims of the benefit on behalf of the veteran or his surviving spouse.

How to Apply?

There are three ways to apply for the Veteran’s aid.

  1. You can apply online with the use of the VONAPP on the VA website.
  2. The second option is downloading the required document from the VA website, filling it out and sending it to the regional VA office. As a veteran, make sure that the document you are going to download is the VA Form 21-526, but if it is the spouse who is going to apply, then VA Form 21-534 needs to be sent in.
  3. Lastly, you can contact an officer of the Veterans Service at the regional office. You can start by calling them with their toll free number 1-800-827-1000.

For more information, have a look at the Veteran Administration Aid.

* Figures are from the Veteran’s Administration as of 12/01/09. Please contact the VA to verify current monthly payments of the Veterans Aid and Attendance Benefit.